(CIS 105) Introduction to Building Information Modeling and Surveying
Introduction to computer aided design and drafting including 3D construction drafting; basics of boundary, site, construction, and topographic surveying. The content of this course will provide the foundational CAD (digital drafting) and surveying skills needed for students seeking work in construction and facilities management. The ability to create, read, and understand construction drawings, to implement their specifications, and accomplish basic surveying tasks will enable students to successfully complete advanced classes in construction and facilities management and manage construction and facilities.
Course Learning Outcomes
Each student who passes this course will be able to do the following:
- Create basic site plans with CAD software for construction of buildings and material estimates. Use and understand Building Information Modeling (BIM) principles.
- Create building plans with CAD software for structural, mechanical (HVAC), electrical, and plumbing details. Create BIM estimates.
- Using CAD software create elevation, detail, and roofing plans for buildings, apply BIM to estimate material procurement and cost.
- Analyze a current building and recreate the as-built drawing plans using CAD software; add a new addition to the as-built plans using CAD to include site, structural, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing details.
- Using CAD software to analyze complex site plans, evaluate service and utility access and connections.
- Learn and demonstrate basic surveying math to include lines, angles, polygons, triangles, and the application of trigonometry.
- Learn basic surveying principles to include distance, angle, and position measurement as it applies to basic construction using tape, chain, and plum bob instruments and procedures.
- Learn how to use and apply basic surveying techniques using electronic surveying equipment. Apply these techniques to basic construction activities, to include single story, multistory, vertical, and horizontal alignment.