Academic Standards

Academic Standing:

The purpose of this policy is to detect early challenges that students might be facing in regards to their grades and progress towards graduation. By identifying students who are struggling, early interventions can be identified and advice can be given that can help the student be successful.

Progress towards Graduation:

To ensure that students make the most of their time at BYU-Hawaii, internal deadlines are established to ensure that appropriate progress towards graduation is being made. Again, students who fail to make progress because of repeated failures will still need to finish within four years. They may need to graduate with a different major or with an Associate’s degree. All students should have a Major Academic Plan (MAP) by the time they reach 30 hours of credit. By the time they reach 60 hours, if a student is not able to graduate within the remaining semesters in their current major, they will need to choose another major.

Grade Probation:

A student will be placed on grade probation if they fall into any of the following categories:

  1. Student has attempted at least 24 credits and the Cumulative GPA is below 2.0
  2. Student semester GPA is below 1.5 regardless of Cumulative GPA or attempted credits

Students on Grade Probation are subject to the following consequences and corrective processes:

  1. Students are required to meet with the Center for Academic Success to develop an academic plan and determine which section of STDEV 101R course to take. Successful completion of STDEV 101R is expected from all academic probation students.
  2. Students who fail to meet with the Center will have a hold placed on their registration.

The intent of this policy is to ensure that the student has the support needed to improve their academic performance and to make progress related to raising the Cumulative GPA and/or semester GPA above 2.0. Working with the Center for Academic Success is required.

Failure to progress will result in grade suspension the following semester.

Role of Faculty Member

Due to the short number of days between semesters, it is critical for faculty to submit grades within the established time frame to give the Registrar’s office twenty-four hours to notify students of grade probation status.

Grade Suspension (Any Subsequent Semester):

Students who have previously been on Grade Probation and whose Cumulative GPA again falls below 2.0 will automatically be suspended from the university. They will not be allowed to register in classes on campus for twelve continuous months. This includes but is not limited to registering for Continuing Education classes, taking classes at a reduced load or for audit, and taking classes as a part-time or non-degree seeking student.

Students who are suspended may appeal, but efforts made during probation as well as the ability of the student to graduate within the university guidelines will be factors in any decision made. The appeal will not be automatic grounds for extension and it is up to the student to present the case. Only a one-semester extension will be granted if the appeal is accepted. It is intended in these cases that grades and Cumulative GPA's must go up to meet university graduation requirements.

Appealing Academic Suspensions:

Students with semester GPA's between 1.5-2.0 and Cumulative GPA's still between 2.0:

Students in this category are at risk of not graduating due to low academic performance. It is the responsibility of the student to make a case for retention at the university. Desiring to do better, wanting to be at BYUH, or really wanting to get a degree, while admirable, will not be considered adequate for appeal. Instead, concrete examples of improvement and possibly documented humanitarian issues would be reasons to justify an appeal. Regardless, an improvement towards a Cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be part of the evidence. This situation is serious academically and should not be approached without concrete evidence of performance. Continued participation in the counseling process as required is a condition of this status.

"D" Grade Policy


The purpose of this policy is to clarify the university’s stand on D grades.


  • There is no D grade restriction for the university.
  • University academic standing and graduation standards are based on GPA (2.0).
  • There is no D grade limit for completing minors or certificates.
  • Rules regarding D grades in the majors are determined by the faculty units housing the major and approved by the University Curriculum Council.

Overall Appeal Process:

  1. The student must submit a personal letter directed to the Academic Exceptions Committee (AEC) that not only explains the circumstances but also provides a plan for improvement. Documentation of issues must be included.
  2. The student must obtain a letter/note from the Dean of the faculty that supports the student continuing in the major. This letter is required as proof that the student is still a viable candidate within the program.
  3. The student must supply a MAP that is signed by the Academic Advisor and demonstrated the old and new projected graduation date. This map should indicate that an extension of the original graduation date is not required. An IDS or Associates degree might be part of this map to show a degree is still possible. This map should also indicate the retaking of classes which will raise a GPA. This map should be developed as soon as possible, recognizing that advisors are committed to other tasks at the start of semesters.
  4. Current contact information must be available also.

The Academic Exceptions Committee (AEC) meets regularly to evaluate student appeals. All requests for an appeal need to be made to the committee before the beginning of the next available enrollment period. Results of the decision will be communicated to the student by e-mail (for speed of response), and formal letter. A valid e-mail address and a valid telephone number must be part of the documented appeal request.

Other Issues as Part of the Academic Exceptions Committee (AEC) Review:

Students need to be aware that only 12 hours of D credit are available to be used towards graduation. Individual departments may require that the lowest grade to be accepted is a C- so students will need to take this into account when making revised maps, and raising GPA's for graduation. If a student has too many D grades for graduation in either major or GE classes and is not able to repair these to graduation standard within their allotment of time in residence, the student may be suspended from the university. The student may need to take these classes elsewhere and then transfer them back to meet graduation requirements.

Students therefore need to be aware that D's in some programs need to be corrected, and D's overall need to be evaluated to ensure that these are in less critical areas, such as GE classes where D credit does count. Students that cannot repair their D/F grades to meet university and program requirements will be suspended from the university. If the D credit classes are not needed for graduation in either GE or major classes and the student is over 120 hours then those hours of D credit will not be counted against them in evaluating their graduation application. Normal appeal processes would be followed.