Religious Education

Stake Center

Stake Center 182 (STC), (808) 675-3640       

Religious Education

Acting Dean


Administrative Assistant



  • Lane, Jennifer C. (2002) B.S. 1992, Brigham Young University; M.A. 1993, Brigham Young University; Ph.D. 2003, Claremont Graduate University.
  • Martins, Marcus H. (2000) B.S., Brigham Young University; M.O.B. 1994, Brigham Young University; Ph.D. 1996, Brigham Young University.


Associate Professors

  • Lane, Keith H. (2002) B.A. 1985, Brigham Young University; M.A. 1990, Brigham Young University; Ph.D. 2008, Claremont Graduate University.
  • Marlowe, Eric-Jon  (2011) B.S. 1994, Utah State University; M.A. 1999, Utah State University; Ph.D. 2005, Brigham Young University.
  • Sharp, Dan (2011) B.A. 1998, Brigham Young University; B.A. 2005, Utah Valley State College; M.A. 2007, Claremont School of Theology; Ph.D. 2012, Claremont Graduate University.


Assistant Professors

  • Marcum, Jared (2013); B.S., BYU-Idaho; M.Ed., Utah State University; Ph.D. in process, Utah State University.
  • Bowen, Matthew (2015) B.A. 2000, Brigham Young University; M.A. 2009, Catholic University of America; 2014, Ph.D. Catholic University of America.

The Department of Religious Education administers all religion courses sponsored by the university. Courses are available in ancient and modern scriptures, Church history and doctrine, and related subjects. Undergraduate majors are not offered in religion.


Religion Requirements

The Board of Education of the Church Education System and for Seminaries and Institute has recently approved four new courses that will be the cornerstones for Religious Education at each of the Church Universities and also in Seminaries and Institutes.

Fourteen hours of religion credit are required for all full-time students to graduate.

  • REL 200 The Eternal Family
  • REL 225 Foundations of the Restoration
  • REL 250 Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel (OR REL 211 New Testament I)
  • REL 275 The Teachings and Doctrine of the Book of Mormon (OR REL 121 + REL 122)
  • + 3 Rel electives (one of which must be a scripture course)

All four cornerstone courses (or their equivalent) are required for graduation from any of the Church Universities or from Institute. (These equivalencies have been approved for all the Church Universities for the next few years.)

All students must fulfill both Residency Hours and the Required Content classes to graduate. For students that transfer to BYU-Hawaii it is assumed that they will have fulfilled some of the Religion core requirements from Institute or another CES University and will be transferring them in. If they have completed the core they should not repeat those classes.

Content Requirement

*ALL students must complete all four cornerstone classes to graduate (can be transferred in or taken at BYUH)

  • REL 200 The Eternal Family
  • REL 225 Foundations of the Restoration
  • REL 250 Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel (or Rel 211 New Testament I)
  • REL 275 The Teachings and Doctrine of the Book of Mormon (OR REL 121 + REL 122)

Residency Requirement

Number of credits of Religion that must be taken at BYUH

Total Transfer Credits (incl. DL credits)

Residency Religion Credits Required













90 or more


For all students who are required to complete 12-14 residency credits, one of the graduation electives must be the scripture-based elective.

Students from Other Faiths

Students who are members of other faiths are strongly encouraged to enroll in REL 100 Introduction to Mormonism, during their first semester in residence. This course is designed to be informational, introducing students to the culture, scriptures, and distinctive doctrines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, thus preparing them for subsequent religion classes.

Religion Credit from Non-LDS Colleges and Universities

Religion credit from non-LDS universities and colleges will not satisfy the religion requirement at BYU–Hawaii. The transfer credit may, however, apply as elective credit toward the total hours required for graduation.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do courses offered at BYUH that deal with religion or are related to religion count for BYUH religion credit? 

No. Only courses with the REL designation receive religion credit.

Why can’t I take more than one religion class in a given semester? 

It has always been the view of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that education is not complete without proper integration of secular and religious knowledge and values. Secular understanding and skill are important attainments in life and will better serve the individual when accompanied by religious convictions, attitudes, and standards of behavior. 

The Board of Trustees and Administration of BYUH maintain that a student should have a religious experience throughout their undergraduate career.  To prevent students from taking all their religion classes at once to “get them over with,” the general policy is that students may only register for one religion class per semester. Exceptions may be granted for special circumstances, when requested by the academic advisors.

How can I tell if I am “on course” for graduation?

You may refer to your progress report, which you can access anytime through MAPPER.  Your report will show which core religion classes you have completed under the heading of “Religion Requirement.”  It will display either a YES or a NO next to each requirement, indicating whether or not you have completed that core requirement.  Below that, it will show the “Religion Hours at BYUH” that you have completed.  Here, you can see how many total residency religion hours you are required to take, how many you have completed, how many hours you are deficient, and how many you are currently registered for.

Residency Requirements

What does the term “resident hours” mean?

“Resident hours” refers to the religion hours completed at BYUH while the student was pursuing a bachelor's degree ("UG Career").  Every student is required to complete a specific number of religion hours during their undergraduate experience BYUH regardless of the number of religion credits completed elsewhere, including courses taken from BYUH Online in a DL program before being accepted as a matriculated student pursing a bachelor's degree. Only BYUH religion courses taken in the UG Career fulfill the “residency” requirement.  There are no exceptions.

How many “resident” religion hours are required to graduate from BYUH?

If you have taken all your coursework at BYUH or transferred fewer than 15 hours of credits from any other institution, you are required to take a minimum of 14 hours of religion at BYUH (resident hours) to graduate.

If, however, you have transferred 15 or more hours of credit from another institution to BYUH (or from BYUH Online DL classes offered by BYUH to students not pursuing a bachelor's degree), the number of religion hours required to take at BYUH (resident hours) is listed below:

Total Hours Transferred to BYUH

(including BYUH Online DL classes)

Required Religion Hours at BYUH













90 or more


*More credits may be needed if the subject matter requirement has not been completed.

Why does BYUH have a “residency” requirement for religion courses?

Since BYUH grants the undergraduate degree, it is felt that students should take courses at BYUH to have the “BYUH experience.”  While one may argue that other religion courses provide the same quality and depth as BYUH religion courses, the point is not quality but sponsorship.  It is expected that BYUH students have a BYUH experience.  Thus, residency ensures that BYUH students will be afforded the experience of which they sought admittance.

Do BYUH-Idaho or BYU religion courses count towards the “residency” religion requirement at BYUH ?

No. Only religion courses taken at BYUH count towards the religion residency requirement for graduation. 

Do Institute classes count towards the “residency” religion requirement at BYUH?

No. Only religion courses taken at BYUH count towards the religion residency requirement for graduation.

What if I am not a transfer student but I take an institute course while I am at home during the summer? Will this course fulfill my “residency” requirement?

No. If the course is taken for credit, meets the CES Institute standards, corresponds with an existing BYUH religion course, and if your institute sends an official transcript to the Admissions Office at BYUH, then the institute class will count as two hours towards your total university hours.  It may also fill part of your “core” requirement.  For example, a New Testament institute class may fill your core requirement to take New Testament.  However, it will not count towards the “residency” requirement at BYUH.

Institute / Transfer Credits

Do religion courses taken from an Institute, BYUH-Idaho, or BYU count as a religion subject matter credit? 

Yes. Corresponding Institute, stake institute, BYUH-I and BYU courses may fulfill the subject matter religion credits at BYUH.  Such courses do not, however, fulfill the “residency” religion requirement.  (See Core Requirements)

Do institute credits transferred to BYUH affect my GPA?

No. All institute credits transferred to BYUH are accepted only as pass/fail grades.

Do Institute or Stake Institute classes count towards the “residency” religion requirement at BYUH ?

No. Only religion courses taken at BYUH count towards the religion residency requirement for graduation. 

Do BYUH-Idaho or BYU religion courses count towards the “residency” religion requirement at BYUH ?

No. Only religion courses taken at BYUH count towards the religion residency requirement for graduation. 

What is the difference between “Stake Institute classes” and “Institute classes?”  Do they count for BYUH credit?

Stake Institute classes were created to provide religious instruction for those not directly affiliated with a college or university.  CES (Church Education System) encourages college and university students to take religion courses from the program affiliated with their college/university.  Ideally, a student at the University of Texas, for example, would take courses at the university institute; a BYUH student would take religion courses at BYUH, etc.  Qualified stake institute courses receive institute credit and thus could be transferred to BYUH.  Like any religion course from another institution, they may fulfill the “core” requirement but they do not fulfill the residency hour requirement at BYUH.

What does it mean to take an Institute course for “transfer credit?”

A student who desires to transfer institute credit must contact the institute instructor at the beginning of the semester/term and request to take the course for credit.  This requires the student to complete the academic requirements of the course (exams, assignments, etc.) for transfer credit. The only grade accepted for transfer to BYUH is Pass/Fail.

How does an Institute course appear on my BYUH transcript? When?

Your Institute director or instructor must send an official “Institute Transcript” to the Admissions Office at BYUH.  After they receive it, the course is reviewed and posted on a BYUH transcript within two or three days.

Do religion courses offered from other universities (except BYU-I, BYU and CES Institutes of Religion) fulfill the “core” religion requirement at BYUH?

No. For example, New Testament taught at Baylor does not have the same emphasis as New Testament at BYUH, and will therefore not receive any religion credit nor fulfill the core requirement at BYUH. (See Core Requirements)

Are qualifying religion courses transferred from another institution figured into my GPA and count as total hours at BYUH?

No. Because institute courses are transferred only as Pass/Fail, they do not affect a BYUH GPA.

However, DL classes transferred in from BYUH Online will affect a BYUH GPA.

BYU Jerusalem Center

What is the relationship of BYU-Hawaii and the BYU Jerusalem Center?

The BYU Jerusalem Center one-semester academic experience is open to students from BYU-Hawaii as well as BYU-Idaho and BYU in Provo. Classes taken at the BYU Jerusalem Center can count towards both Religious Education requirements and General Education requirements.  For more information about the costs and application requirements for the BYU Jerusalem Center see their website. To explore how this might fit into your undergraduate experience at BYU-Hawaii, feel free to visit with your academic advisor to explore different options for mapping this in to our academic calendar and your own MAP.  They will help you see how to plan for a leave semester as well as the semester you will be at the Jerusalem Center.

How do I register for classes at the Jerusalem Center?

Once you are accepted you will be sent an enrollment agreement form.  It must be signed by you and also submitted to the Registrar’s Office at BYU-Hawaii to obtain an official signature from them.  You must then submit the signed form to the Jerusalem Center Provo office by the final payment deadline.

What will I be registered for?  Do BYU-Hawaii students get credit for all 15 credit hours from BYU?  

All BYU-Hawaii students are initially registered at BYU-Hawaii for GENS (General Studies) 399R Study Abroad for zero credits as a placeholder while participating in a Jerusalem Center Program.  When the graded transcript is received they receive all 15 credits.

What are the procedures for transferring Jerusalem Center course grades to the BYUH student record? 

Official transcripts from the Jerusalem Center semester are sent to the Registrar’s Office and they are entered as transfer credits.  The grades do appear on the transcript, but as transfer credit these grades do not impact BYUH CGPA.

Do BYUH students receive General Education credit for participating in a Jerusalem Center program? 

BYUH students who successfully complete NES 336R, NES 347R, and NES 349R will receive seven credit hours to satisfy both the Social Science and the Humanities and Culture GE requirements at BYUH.

BYUH students who successfully complete REL 311 and 303 will automatically receive equivalents to REL 211 and 301.

Can BYUH students can receive their full government Pell grant and/or student loan and use it towards the Jerusalem Center program through a consortium agreement with BYU?  

Yes - if they qualify.  Please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Can BYU-Hawaii students transfer their BYU-Hawaii academic scholarships to BYU?

No.  Institutional scholarships such as Academic, Department, and IWORK do not transfer.  Federal Financial Aid funds may, however, be used.  Please be aware that all students are welcome to apply for Jerusalem Center financial aid which is made available through generous donations by former students and friends of the Jerusalem Center.  Scholarship awards are based on academic performance (3.5 GPA and above), and grants are based on financial need.  More information is found in the application materials on the website: