(ENGL 321) English Grammars
Offers a foundation for the study of grammar, looking closely at the fundamentals of morphology and syntax in order to analyze the basic grammatical elements of standard written English. Also studies the differences between descriptive and prescriptive approaches to grammar and considers different ways of representing grammatical structures.
|Credit Hours||3.0 Lecture|
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe and analyze grammatical structures using accepted terminology.
- Understand the differences between social and regional dialects 3.Analyze English words into their morphemes.
- Distinguish between form-class and structure-class words.
- Recognize and produce a variety of English phrase structures, clause structures, and sentence patterns.
- Perform basic transformations.
- Analyze sentences using Reed-Kellogg and Phrase Structure diagrams.