(POSC 190) Foundations of Critical Thinking
Introduces the fundamentals of logic and reason, fallacies, argumentation, and other aspects of critical thinking to improve oral and written persuasion.
|Credit Hours||3.0 Lecture|
|Offered||Fall, Winter, Spring|
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize a complex argument
- Identify the claim
- Identify the reasons and evidence used to support the claim
- Identify counter-arguments designed to address objections
- Show respect for individual who make contrary arguments by giving them the most intelligent and honorable interpretation of their argument
- Explain and identify how the components of persuasion are used in the argument
- Formulate a compelling persuasive argument
- Explain and identify unethical methods of persuasion
- Understand the basics of clear, concise communication
- Find, sift, and evaluate information from a variety of sources.