(ENGL 421) History of the English Language
Examines the history of English from its origins in the Indo-European language family through its current position as the most widely spoken language on the planet. Considers changes in sounds and syntax and the social forces that carried English around the world. Also considers how and why languages change.
|Credit Hours||3.0 Lecture|
Course Learning Outcomes
- Understand the major stages in the development of the English language.
- Analyze English words into their phonemes & morphemes.
- Study writing systems.
- Investigate the Indo-European family of languages.
- Understand the differences between social and regional dialects.
- Predict the ways English may continue to change.