Veterans' Affairs

VA School Certifying Official:

Mayette Fonoimoana

Registrar’s Office

Lorenzo Snow Building


(808) 675-3746


Welcome to Brigham Young University-Hawaii. We look forward to assisting students using Veterans education benefits.


Veterans’ Education Benefits (VEB) are funds made available through the US Department of Veteran Affairs for students who are:

• Actively serving in the Military

• Serving in the Reserves or National Guard

• Dependents of Veterans

• Dependents of disabled or deceased Veterans

There are different chapters of Veterans Education Benefits.

For more information, please visit the GI Bill website or call the VA Western Regional Processing Office at 1-888-GI-BILL-1- (1-888-442-4551)


NOTE: Veterans’ Educational Benefit funds are not affiliated with or controlled by BYU-H.


To begin:

1. You must apply and be accepted for admission to BYU-Hawaii

2. Recognized as a regular, degree-seeking student

3. Applied for VA education benefits.


Once accepted:

4. Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility

5. Determine the type of Benefit you intend to use

• Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill

• Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill

• Chapter 35 – Dependents Education Assistance

• Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill –Select Reserve

6. Gather and submit necessary documents

• Record of Previous Education & Training/Release of Information to 3rd Party

• Responsibility and Role of Student and Academic Advisors

• Contact Mayette Fonoimoana, School Certifying Official

7. Register for classes and complete the course enrollment form and mapper

• Meet with your Academic Advisor to enroll in classes that will apply to your major

8. Submit course enrollment and mapper and any supporting documents to School Certifying Official at Registrar’s Office for processing.

(all certifications are submitted online through VA-Once)



Certification Policies:

BYU-H will certify your enrollment to the VA for each semester or term that you request.  Only classes that meet your Major requirements and the Holokai Curriculum can be certified.


Veteran Affairs Contact Information: