(EXS 411) Sports Nutrition Certification
This certification program is designed for career-oriented professionals looking to expand their knowledge and skills in sports nutrition, a primary domain of the personal trainer profession. This advanced program is available to any NCCA-certified professional in good standing, individuals holding a bachelor’s degree in exercise science, kinesiology, or related field, or individuals holding a REPs credential, level 3 or higher. This program takes an in-depth look at nutritional science and its application to sports and athletic performance. The latest evidence-based information is presented in a building block model affording fitness professionals the opportunity to develop the competencies necessary of a skilled practitioner, allowing them to expand their service offerings as a sports nutrition specialist.
Through the interaction of theory and practical applications, students will develop an understanding of:
- The general principles of nutrition.
- Recommended dietary intakes and practical guidelines for a healthy diet.
- How to properly analyze food labels for nutrient appropriateness.
- Fuel sources for exercise and optimal exercise metabolism.
- Energy balance and athletics.
- Regulation of the gastrointestinal tract and exercise-related issues.
- Carbohydrate, protein, and fat intake for optimized sport performance.
- Proper fluid intake during sport training/competition, thermoregulation, and dehydration.
- Vitamin, mineral, and antioxidant intake for optimized sport performance.
- The use and safety of nutritional supplements commonly used as ergogenic aids.
- The effects of nutrition on adaptation and immune function.
- Body composition and weight management in athletics.
- Eating disorders in sport and special dietary needs