(ENGL 418R) Writing for Publication
Advanced creative writers will develop and polish manuscripts for publication. Students will also learn professional skills such as writing query letters and finding a publisher.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Read, understand and appreciate a range of works in one or two genres of creative writing (fiction, and/or poetry, and/or creative nonfiction).
- Demonstrate a developed awareness and understanding of the history, evolution, and cultural significance of the genre or genres studied in class.
- Produce original work and increasingly proficient work in one genre(poetry, and/or fiction, and/or creative nonfiction) that incorporate techniques and principles from class readings and examples.
- Demonstrate a mature willingness and ability to revise their writing toward excellence, and a capacity to recognize and utilize valuable feedback from readers.
- Provide thoughtful and useful observations and critiques of other people’s creative writing.
- Demonstrate a basic, newfound understanding and awareness of the small magazine literary market for the chosen genre; know how to prepare and submit their work to a literary journal.