(EIL 320) Academic English II
Students improve academic listening, speaking, reading and writing skills while studying different content areas. Emphasis is on applying skills in their concurrent university classes.
|Credit Hours||4.0 Lecture|
|Offered||Fall, Winter, Spring|
- Complete comprehension questions on timed reading tests.
- Read authentic articles related to the course theme.
- Take reading notes using appropriate graphic organizers.
- Complete comprehension questions on timed listening tests
- Listen to authentic reports related to the course theme.
- Take notes using appropriate graphic organizers.
- Give short presentations in front of the class.
- Discuss reading and listening assignments in small groups.
- Summarize notes or writing drafts in speed conversations with a partner.
- Conduct survey interviews.
- Write a research report based on survey interview data.
- Write a process paragraph.
- Write research papers about effects, causes, and solutions related to a problem.
- Complete vocabulary depth questions in unit tests.
- Participate in small group vocabulary learning games.
- Give short vocabulary presentations in front of the class.
- Use appropriate grammatical phrases in oral and written work.
- Identify grammatical phrases that accomplish particular acts.
- Visit regularly with EIL tutors to evaluate personal language learning goals and progress.
- Make use of additional resources (including tutors, books, websites) to target individualized language learning needs
- Respond to metacognitive reflection questions about personal language learning activities at midterm and end-of-semester.