(EIL 341) Academic Vocabulary Development
Students learn and apply strategies to improve independent vocabulary learning. This class focuses on understanding frequently used academic words.
|Credit Hours||2.0 Lecture|
|Offered||Fall, Winter, Spring|
- Use readings to increase processing of academic vocabulary.
- Use class activities to increase listening comprehension of academic vocabulary.
- Use academic vocabulary in speaking in class/groups. Produce unprepared and prepared speaking samples for analysis using electronic resources to determine level of academic vocabulary.
- Use academic vocabulary in writing and analyze ability to use academic vocabulary using electronic language resources.
- Increase understanding of subject specific vocabulary. Learn a variety of ways to know a word through the study of pronunciation, spelling, dictionary definitions, appropriate usage, collocations, word families, and connotations.
- Learn grammar and usage rules associated with target vocabulary. Learn where to find grammar support for vocabulary
- Conduct self-evaluation/assessments on your knowledge of AWL words. Make a language plan for continually increasing vocabulary knowledge.