Skip to main content

Grading and Records

The following letter grades are given at the university. The grade point average may be computed by using the numeric values indicated.

Grade Remarks GPA
A Exceptional achievement 4.00
A- 3.70
B+ 3.40
B Above average quality 3.00
B- 2.70
C+ 2.40
C Acceptable work 2.00
C- 1.70
D+ 1.40
D Not fully satisfactory 1.00
D- 0.70
F Failing (no credit) 0.00
WF Withdraw Failing 0.00

Other marks are given as follows: I (Incomplete), NS (Grade Not Submitted), P (Passing), NP (Not Passing), T (Course Work in Progress), W (Withdrawn), and V (Audit).

The I Grade

The letter grade I (Incomplete) is to indicate that the required work for a class has not been completed. Students do not reregister for a class for which they have an Incomplete. An I is given only when extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student make it impossible to complete the required work within the prescribed time. Arrangements must be made between the instructor and the student prior to the end of the semester.

An I Grade Form specifying the work to be completed and the deadline for completion (up to a maximum of one year), prepared by the instructor and approved by the appropriate dean of the faculty, must be turned in to the Registrar’s Office no later than one week after grades are due. The I is never given when a student is failing or has failed a course.

A Grade Change Authorization form must be processed through the Registrar’s Office on completion of the course work. The I is not computed in the grade point average until one year has elapsed, at which time it will be computed as an F (failing grade) if the course requirements have not been completed.

The NS Grade

When a faculty member does not submit a final grade by the specified deadline, the grade of “NS” will be posted by the Registrar’s office on the student’s official record. NS means “grade was not submitted.” An NS grade will not affect a student’s final grade or the grade point average. However, the student will not earn any credit for the course as long as the NS grade remains. The NS grade may affect scholarships, financial aid, housing, graduation status, and transcripts. Faculty members have the responsibility to change the NS designation to the proper final grade.

P and NP Grades

P is used to indicate the successful completion of a course taken on the pass/not pass option. This option is available to students at the university as a means of encouraging study outside the chosen major and is limited to one course per semester or term. An elective course, a course for which credit is received by examination, and any course specifically designated may utilize the pass/not pass option. Classes in the student’s major (with some exceptions), religion, general education, or EIL classes may not be taken with this option. Students electing this option will be given the P grade if their work in the course is rated as equivalent to C or better. If the work is not rated at this level, NP will appear on the permanent record. The P and NP are not included in the computation of the grade point average.

The T Grade

A grade of T indicates course work in progress and is only used in 399R and other internship courses in which work may extend beyond the semester. The T grade may be changed to A, B, C, D, F, or P, depending on the grade rule for the course, when the work is completed. A T grade does not affect a student’s GPA until one year has elapsed, at which time it is computed as an F (failing grade) if the course requirements have not been completed.

W and WF

Students discontinuing a class officially during the add and drop period will have no listing of the class entered on their permanent record. Students withdrawing from a class during the 2nd to 5th week for fall and winter and 2nd to 3rd week for spring, will not have a grade of W appear on their permanent record. From the 6th week through the 9th week for fall and winter and 4th through 5th week for spring, the instructor is asked to give a report of the grade status (passing or failing) at the time of the withdrawal. A grade of W will be entered on the record of a student who is passing at the time of withdrawal and a WF for those who are failing. The W is not used in computing the student’s grade point average. The WF is counted as 0.00 grade points.

Be aware that for the purposes of calculating full-time status for international students and for federal financial aid, a W or a WF in a class will not count towards the total number of required credits. International students may not withdraw from a class if it will put them below 12 credits (full time) because they will be out of status. For Federal Aid purposes W/WF grades do not count toward minimum enrollment for eligibility but do count toward the percentage of credits completed for Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

International students who fail to maintain full-time status (i.e. maintaining registration in at least 12 credit hours per semester) are considered out of status by the federal government and are subject to removal (deportation) immediately. In certain situations, international students who are approved for Reduced Course Load, may drop below 12 credit hours per semester and still maintain full-time status.

Grade Reports

Grades are available to students via the Internet at the end of each semester.

Dean's List

The Dean’s List is composed of the top 5% of full-time students who complete at least 15 credit hours during fall or winter semester or 9 during spring semester (excluding precollege level courses). Those students who qualify for the Dean’s List receive a certificate in recognition of their achievement from the Vice President of Academics.

Student Records Policy

Student educational records at BYU–Hawaii are generally accessible to eligible students according to the provisions of The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). BYU–Hawaii has adopted an Access to Student Records Policy which explains in detail student rights relating to their educational records. A copy of the policy is available at the Registrar’s Office.

Please refer to the FERPA Guidelines in this catalog for a summary notice of student rights to their educational records at BYU–Hawaii.

Credit Recognized by BYU–Hawaii

In addition to enrolling in courses at BYU–Hawaii, a student may earn credit that will be recognized by the university in the following ways:

  1. Transfer credit from an accredited Independent Study program. These programs include but are not limited to, BYU Provo’s Independent Study program.
  2. Transfer credit from courses taken through BYU–Hawaii Distance Learning. Courses taken through BYU–Hawaii Distance Learning online program (DL) will be transferred over. These classes are not part of the normal BYU–Hawaii curriculum and must be transferred in order to become part of the student’s academic record. Starting in summer 2014, all grades transferred from DL classes will become part of the student’s cumulative GPA as a UG student at BYU–Hawaii. These classes will not count towards residency for graduation or Religion residency hours, but may count for content requirements for Religion. Note: Undergraduate online-only classes (section 300) taken through the regular registration process are identical to regular in-class course offerings and are distinct from DL classes.
  3. Transfer credit to BYU–Hawaii for courses completed at an institution accredited by one of the following regional associations or is an institution sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA-CHE)
    • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA-HLC)
    • New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE)
    • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges (NWCCU)
    • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
    • Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC- ACSCU)
    • Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC- ACCJC)

    Credit from international schools must be submitted for evaluation to the Admissions Office upon application for admission to the University.All college transcripts will be evaluated to determine admissibility of an applicant even if all or any of that credit is not accepted for transfer.

  4. Pass a special examination for credit in certain courses offered by the University. (Religion courses and classes requiring a laboratory or a portfolio are not among those that can be challenged.) Such credit will be given only to currently enrolled students with the joint consent of the dean of the faculty in which the student is registered and the dean of the faculty in which the class is offered. A fee of $10.00 is charged prior to taking each special examination, and, if passed, an additional $5.00 per credit hour. If a student challenges a course and fails the exam, he/she must wait one full semester before he/she can re-challenge that course and receive credit by examination. Test credit does not count towards semester enrollment.
  5. Complete the Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, with satisfactory scores. AP scores will be evaluated as transfer credit in the Registrar’s Office (refer to Advanced Placement in the index).
  6. Complete the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) in approved courses. BYU–Hawaii will grant credit in some sub areas (specific subject matter courses) in which the student scores sufficiently high and three hours of non-graded credit in those general areas in which sufficiently high scores are received. Transcripts are reviewed and credit is granted on a case by case basis as approved by the university.
  7. Serve in the armed forces. A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, published by the American Council on Education, has been adopted by BYU–Hawaii as a basis for evaluating college-level training and experiences in the armed forces. Students must submit an official copy of their DD214 form to the School Certifying Official in Admissions for evaluation prior to completion of 24 credits or 2 semesters.

Transfer Credit

Application of transfer credit will be determined on a course by course equivalency basis. All transfer courses with a C- grade or better will be accepted by BYU–Hawaii as credit. Credit for courses of a remedial nature (usually numbered 99 and below) will not be transferable. Vocational credit may be considered on a case-by-case basis. BYU–Hawaii does not transfer Grade Point Averages (GPA) when transferring credits from other institutions. Students who transfer with an Associate degree from an accredited college or university, not including Associate of Applied Science, will be required to complete:

  • A major
  • The four CORE Religion courses and residency Religion requirements
  • Advanced Writing – English 315

Students with an Associate of Applied Science must complete the full Holokai program. Students should see an advisor for any possible transfer equivalencies.

Ordering Transcripts

Registrar's Office, LSB 1st Floor, (808) 675-3732
Transcripts can be ordered by the following:
All transcript requests are now submitted through the National Student Clearinghouse. This can be accessed through your mybyuh account and selecting Transcript Ordering Services
If you have forgotten/don’t have a CESnet ID you may go to and select Brigham Young University–Hawaii on the school dropdown menu to start the process of ordering a transcript.
Call (808) 675-3732 with any questions.

Transcript Record Holds

No student’s transcript or other record at the university will be released to the student or to any other person or institution until all the student’s outstanding obligations to the university have been paid or until satisfactory arrangements have been made. These obligations include, but are not limited to, fees outstanding, university standards violations, international students who become illegal aliens, etc.