(EXS 493) Research Methods in Exercise and Sport Science
The Seminar is designed for junior and senior students (with respect to graduation). Students will design, write a proposal, and have approved the senior project.
|Credit Hours||3.0 Lecture|
Course Learning Outcomes
- Student Learners will describe the meaning and context of the scientific method in his or her research.
- Student Learners will describe the importance of reviewing and critiquing the literature with appropriate referencing.
- Student Learners will identify major points to justify a research question and propose a project.
- Student learners will improve their scientific writing and oral communication skills by writing and proposing their research project.
- Student learners will understand research ethics by avoiding academic dishonesty, protecting participants, and explaining other ethical considerations related to research.
- Student learners will understand different types of research (e.g., experimental, descriptive, and qualitative) and appropriate statistics for types of research by evaluating their own and others’ research projects.
- Student learners will plan to practice basic statistical concepts by reviewing statistical analyses for their proposed data. (e.g., probability, sampling, parametric v nonparametric, correlational, regression, t-tests, ANOVA testing Chi-square, etc.)
- Student learners will understand best practice for measurements of variables to ensure validity and reliability by planning their own proposed research. (e.g., objective vs subjective measurements, standard scores, rating scores, etc.)