(SOCW 470) Social Work with Substance Abusers
This course introduces the student to the fundamentals of social work practice with substance abusers. Practice issues for selected populations will be explored.
|Credit Hours||3.0 Lecture|
|Prerequisite||Admission to Major|
- Demonstrate and understanding of five historical themes of drug use.
- Explain the role of heredity and environment on the substance abuser.
- Demonstrate an understanding of stimulants, depressants, psychedelics and its effects on themind and body.
- Describe models/theories used in substance abuse treatment.
- Describe ways to successfully engage substance abusers.
- Analyze models of assessment, prevention, intervention, and evaluation. (PB12)
- Practice personal reflection and self-correction to assure continual professional development.(PB2)
- Assess client strengths and limitations. (PB33)
- Help clients resolve problems. (PB38)