(EIL 391) Strategic Reading
Students practice a range of reading strategies to improve their understanding of textbooks and other academic materials.
|Credit Hours||2.0 Lecture|
|Offered||Fall, Winter, Spring|
- Read academic textbook material.
- Complete comprehension questions on timed reading tests.
- Read fluently (at least 200 words-per-minute with at least 70% comprehension).
- Listen carefully to others describe how they implement the reading strategies we are learning this semester.
- Discuss reading assignments in small groups.
- Discuss the reading strategies by identifying what the strategy is, how to apply the strategy, when to use it, and why it works (or doesn’t work).
- Write about your metacognitive awareness of the reading strategies you are learning.
- Write about how you are developing and evolving as a strategic reader.
- Practice using vocabulary development activities to improve both reading and speaking.
- Use appropriate grammatical phrases in oral and written work.
- Respond to metacognitive reflection questions weekly about how you are improving as a reader.