(HIST 318) The History of Writing and Symbols: From Cuneiform to Emojis
This course covers the origins of writing and the history of how specific writing systems developed, spread, and were deciphered. The course also includes some discussion of symbolic systems such as petroglyphs and pictographs, and how modern systems like emojis fit into the framework of writing.
|Credit Hours||3.0 Lecture|
|Programs||History (B.A.), History Minor|
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Discuss the various hypotheses of the origins of human writing systems.
- Outline steps in deciphering an unknown writing system.
- Recognize various writing systems both ancient and modern.
- Know the languages on the Rosetta Stone.
- Classify writing systems by type.