(CS 490R) Advanced Topics in Computer Science
Senior-level elective course. Subject varies according to instructor availability.
1. Articulate the historical relationship between computer graphics, scientific visualization, information visualization, and visual analytics.
2. Implement and recognize certain canonical visualization techniques: histograms, scatterplots, parallel coordinates, tree maps.
3. Convert raw data from spreadsheet format to a relational database table.
4. Read and analyze academic papers, and explain them to others.
5. Describe different types of information, and identify visualization schemes appropriate for each.
6. Evaluate the effectiveness of a given visualization.