(ART 445) Packaging Design
A studio course focusing on three-dimensional structures for a broad range of products that not only protect package contents but also create an experience for the user. Students examine how messages behave when distributed in a three-dimensional space. Conceptual development, prototyping, materials, type, image, layout, design, and form are fully explored to create commercial packaging.
Course Learning Outcomes
Various product packaging types will be explored which will help students expand their design discipline. Students will:
- Communicate effectively verbally ad visually in presenting their ideas and work.
- Apply design principles to 2D and 3D forms.
- Enhance their knowledge of various packaging types and how to create a dieline.
- Learn to make realistic mock-ups and improve craftsmanship.
- Gain an understanding of the impact of environmental design.
- Have the confidence to work independently on projects in and outside of the classroom setting.