(ENGL 331) Professional Career Writing
Prepares writers to explore the field of a professional career coach writer and to engage in multiple employment writing and communication tasks according to national career writing standards. Course includes opportunity to be certified by professional resume and career writing organizations.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate career development and transition skills, including understanding and applying the job procurement process and all forms of communication used in the successful pursuit of a career.
- Use self-assessments to identify strengths, weaknesses, transferable skills, and prime marketable characteristics among numerous candidate profiles.
- Organize and write an effective resume, cover and application letters, graduate school letter of intent/purpose, follow-up emails, Linkedin profiles, and interviewing skills according to standards set by National Resume Writers Association-NRWA (a nationally-recognized professional organization of career coaches and resume writers).
- Ability to analyze and produce effective written communication for employment purposes of various candidates’ profiles according to NRWA standards.
- Understand current employer preferences concerning written job search procedures, content, and techniques as revealed through current research.