(EDU 212) Foundations of Education
Basic foundations of education as related to law, philosophy, teaching models and trends. Selected international comparisons are included. Observation in elementary schools is included.
|Credit Hours||2.0 Lecture|
|Offered||Fall, Winter, Spring|
- Each student can discuss, share experiences, and examine current and past events that led them to their decision to choose a teaching career; and identify personal dispositions that will contribute to their success as a teacher.
- Each student can describe the program of teacher preparation in the BYUH Teacher Education and the requirements for licensing in Hawaii or another state, or an international country.
- Each student can defend using quotes/references:
• The nature of today’s students and their families, with a special focus on those in their target location;
• Factors impacting today’s classrooms and schools, with a special focus on those schools in their target location;
• Facets of curriculum and successful teaching in today’s schools, with a special focus on teachers in their target location, and
• The steps leading forward to the teacher they want to become.
- Each student can show the location of and describe how the K-12 curriculum is organized with a special focus on the curriculum in Hawaii, the US, and their target location.
- Each student can relate some realities of student and teacher interaction, as they have actually seen them in play in their own life and also at Laie Elementary School, to the work of teaching