Registration Office, LSB 1st Floor, (808) 675-3736

Students who were enrolled as regular or part-time students during the previous semester or term have the ability to process their registration on-line on the BYU–Hawaii website (See academic calendar in this catalog or on the website). Prior to registration, students must be free from any registration restrictions. Students who were enrolled only in Educational Outreach must apply for admission or readmission to register for regular classes. Applications for admission must be submitted within the published deadlines in order to register. Careful attention must also be given by all degree seeking students to graduation requirements. Though students may receive advice from faculty, academic advisors or the Student Development Center, they are personally and directly responsible for meeting their graduation requirements.

For information regarding religion course registration, please see the Religious Education section in this catalog.

Attendance in classes without official registration is not permitted and will result in forfeiture of any right or credit in that class by later examination. A student is not considered registered unless all phases of admissions and registration involved have been satisfactorily accomplished.

A $10 fee is charged to the student's account for each class dropped after the first four days of a semester, unless such change is made necessary by administrative action. This will also include dropping a second session (block) class after the first four days of the semester.

Credit Hour Definition 

BYU-Hawaii defines a credit hour as (1) Fifteen hours of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week, or the equivalent amount of work over a different length of time; or (2) At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

Registration Procedure

Every student attending classes at BYU–Hawaii must register and pay tuition. Students should refer to the academic calendar and instructions online to be certain they follow procedures and meet deadlines as needed to be able to use the web registration. Upon registration online, students may print a listing of their class schedule and tuition charge. Registration is finalized by payment of tuition. New international non-native English speakers will register on campus after completion of placement testing. Students must finalize all loans, scholarships, awards, etc., at the Financial Aid Office. MMR/Health Restrictions must be cleared prior to registration.

Registering for Courses with P and NP Grades

P is used to indicate the successful completion of a course taken on the pass/not-pass option. This option is available to students at the University as a means of encouraging study outside the chosen major and is limited to one course per semester or term. An elective course, a course for which credit is received by examination, and any course specifically designated may utilize the pass/not-pass option. Classes in the student's major (with some exceptions), religion, general education, or EIL classes may not be taken with this option. Students electing this option will be given the P grade if their work in the course is rated as equivalent to C or better. If the work is not rated at this level, NP will appear on the permanent record. The P and NP are not included in the computation of the grade point average. Students who desire to register for courses with the Pass/Not Pass option may do so by submitting a request on an add form with the proper approval to the Registrar's Office. Some classes do not allow P/NP and will, therefore not accept a P/NP designation. Pass/Not Pass option is available up to the third day of the semester/term. Courses taken as Pass/Not Pass are not included in the computation of grade point average for Honor Roll distinction.

Changes in Registration (Add/Drop)

Changes in registration may be made without charge through the first four school days. To minimize changes in registration, students should exercise great care in planning their schedules and should register early for classes.

When a change in registration becomes necessary, students may continue to use the computer registration system to drop classes and to add classes that are not closed through the fourth day of classes without instructor's or academic advisor's signatures.

The only way to add a closed class during the Add/Drop period is for a student to obtain the instructor's permission, indicated by a signature on the add/drop form and submit it to their academic advisor or the Registrar's Office for processing by the fourth day of the semester.

After the computer add/drop system closes the Add/Drop period is over. During the one week Exceptions Period (the 7 days after the Add/Drop period is over), classes may be added by permission of the faculty as indicated on the add/drop form which should be turned into the Registrar's Office. Classes may be dropped until the Withdraw period begins. A $10 fee will be charged for each class dropped after the first four days of school, including second session (block) classes. Adding a class after the Exceptions Period requires either the additional permission of the Dean or an appeal to the Academic Exceptions Committee.

It is the student's responsibility to drop a class, withdraw from a class after the drop period is finished, or discontinue from the University to avoid receiving an F on his/her academic record for not completing the class requirements. Classes will not be dropped for lack of payment. Students should be sure to discontinue if they do not attend to avoid receiving an F for a class that they did not attend.

Course Numbering System

Courses are numbered according to the following system:

  • Below 100: Pre-college level courses
  • 100 and 200: Courses primarily for freshmen and sophomores
  • 300 and 400: Courses primarily for juniors and seniors
  • 500: Courses primarily for advanced seniors and candidates for the professional certificate/diploma

Students will be best served if they closely follow this schedule.

Please note that section numbers of a given course may also contain additional information. For example, all sections designated 300 or above indicate that the section is taught as an online course.

Withdrawal from a Class

Any student withdrawing from individual classes after the drop period and during the withdrawal period (see the academic calendar for deadlines) must contact the instructor of the class with the appropriate form and complete the withdrawal procedure. No withdrawals are permitted after the established deadline. Based on the student's academic performance to that date, the professor will assign either a W (passing at the time of withdrawal) or WF (failing at the time of withdrawal). A student who does not withdraw properly will receive an F grade. The WF is also calculated as a failing grade and may affect a student's academic standing.

Discontinue from the University (Complete Withdrawal)

Discontinuing from the University consists of withdrawing from ALL classes in a semester or term. It is recommended that students counsel with instructors, academic advisors, financial aid counselors, international student counselors (for international students), or members of the Counseling Center before making the decision to discontinue. Students discontinuing their entire registration at the University are able to apply for discontinuance through the Request Discontinuance page in Student Self Service in the mybyuh application. Prior to making a discontinuance, students may want to check with the housing office regarding your contractual obligations and the consequences that may occur by submitting a discontinuance. 

Students who leave school with no notification to the University will be automatically discontinued after one semester without registration. Any student discontinued will be required to reapply for admission.

All students leaving for an extended period, no matter the reason, should discontinue enrollment and then reapply for admission. Former students in good academic, ecclesiastical, and financial standing with the University should be readmitted without issue. Detailed instructions on how to reapply are available at the website.

For information on Discontinuance, please see the sections under Cashiers Office and Discontinuance-Tuition Charge/Refund under the Tuition and Fees page.

Leave Semester

Continuing students who wish to take a semester off but not discontinue may apply for an Annual Leave Semester. Those who will be leaving for more than a semester should normally discontinue and reapply. The exception to this will be those who will be leaving to serve a mission. They may indicate their release date and be granted a Leave of Absence that will allow them to return the semester after their mission is completed.

Students on a Leave Semester may not live in on-campus housing or have health benefits from BYU-Hawaii. If you have signed a housing contract for the semester in which you want to take a leave, you should check with housing regarding the obligations and consequences that may arise.

Those who will be gone for just one semester will not need to reapply to take classes the semester following the Leave but instead will be term activated so they can register themselves and they will be expected to enroll in classes on campus when they return. International students who are in the U.S. on a visa can only have Leave status if they have just completed the two semesters prior to the leave in-residence.  If they return to their home country during the Leave Semester they cannot be out of the United States for more than 5 months without renewing their visa.

Those who do stay in the U.S. may not live on campus and they must have proof of insurance that covers them when they are not on-campus at BYU-Hawaii in order to be in the U.S. legally. Be aware that international students who are away from campus for a semester may not work in the U.S. except on campus (BYU-H or PCC) without being in an academic work program such as a University-approved internship. (The number of Leave semesters will be limited.)

Repeated Classes

BYU-Hawaii Classes: Students may repeat as many classes as they choose as long as they are able to complete all graduation requirements within the allotted time.It is important to recognize that the most recent grade will replace the previous grade, whether it is higher or lower.

Transfer Credit: In order for a transfer grade to be replaced, the student must repeat that course at the institution where the original course was taken and then transfer the credit to BYU–Hawaii.

A course repeated at an institution other than the one at which it was taken originally and other than at BYU–Hawaii will not be counted as a repeat. When a class has been repeated, the most recent grade and credit hours will be used in computing the grade point average.

If a class taken at a different institution is repeated at BYU-Hawaii the transfer record of the previous class will be adjusted to show it as an elective class. This will allow the student to receive credit for the previous class, but avoid problems with the calculations of repeated classes. If a class taken from BYU-Hawaii Distance Learning is repeated once the student is matriculated at BYU-H then the class will be treated as a repeat of a BYU-Hawaii class and the most recent grade will replace the previous grade, whether it is higher or lower. 

Semester Credit Overload Policy

An undergraduate student in good academic standing may register for as many as 18 hours of credit in fall or winter semester or 12 hours in spring semester by following the regular registration procedure. Credit hours taken in excess of 18 for fall and winter or 12 for spring are considered credit overload. A student who has completed 12 or more credit hours of BYU-Hawaii coursework, is in good academic standing, and has a grade point average of 3.0 in the previous semester may register for a credit overload with the permission of the student's major program Dean. 

Classes Taken by Audit

Audit classes must be indicated on the Add/Delete/Drop form with the instructor's and academic advisor's approval. These classes will appear as a "V" on the student's transcript and do not affect a student's grade point average. Students must be officially enrolled to be eligible to attend classes. (The charge for auditing classes is the same as for credit classes.) Students who wish to audit a class (take a course without receiving any credit for it) may register or add the class on the first day of the semester by submitting a signed add/drop form to the Registrar's office after the semester has begun.

Classification of Students

Regular Students

Regular students are classified for registration in degree-granting programs and for other academic purposes as follows:

Credit hours earned








90 and over


Regular students who register for fewer than 12 credit hours in fall and winter semesters (or 8 credit hours in spring semester) are designated part-time students.