(POSC 190) Foundations of Critical Thinking
Introduces the fundamentals of logic and reason, fallacies, argumentation, and other aspects of critical thinking to improve oral and written persuasion.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize a complex argument
- Identify the claim
- Identify the reasons and evidence used to support the claim
- Identify counter-arguments designed to address objections
- Show respect for individual who make contrary arguments by giving them the most intelligent and honorable interpretation of their argument
- Explain and identify how the components of persuasion are used in the argument
- Formulate a compelling persuasive argument
- Explain and identify unethical methods of persuasion
- Understand the basics of clear, concise communication
- Find, sift, and evaluate information from a variety of sources.