(SCED 401) A Multicultural Approach to Reading in the Content Area
Techniques and skills related to the selection and use of written materials in the classroom. Cultural aspects are covered as related to text selection, study skills, comprehension strategies, writing reinforcement, and vocabulary acquisition.
|Credit Hours||3.0 Lecture|
|Corequisite||SCED 491 (except for non-certification track)|
|Programs||Art Education (BA), Biology Education (BS),Business Education (BS),Chemistry Education (BS), English Education (BA), Health and Human Science Education (BS), History Education (BA), Math Education (BS), Physical Science Education (BS), Physics Education (BS), Social Science Education (BA), TESOL Education (BA),Education Minor,EIL Certificate|
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of the nature of literacy processes, practices, and key constructs in their respective disciplines.
- Use the dimensions of the Reading Apprenticeship Framework for disciplinary literacy instruction.
- Develop the ability to read strategically in their respective disciplines.
- Practice and critique embedded literacy strategy instruction.
- Design, and present the results of, an inquiry project addressing a key literacy question in their respective disciplines.